The UP Kontra-Gapi (Kontemporaryong Gamelan Pilipino) is the resident Ethnic Music and Dance Ensemble of the College of Arts and Letters in UP Diliman, Philippines led by Prof. Edru Abraham. The group started its 14-week European tour in Paris on May 3, 2013 and arrived in Berlin on the 5th of June 2013 after performing in other cities. The over-all coordinator of the group in Europe is Ms. Marilu Rodriguez Neumann Scheich. Further information about the group can be found on their website http://kontragapi.wordpress.com/.
The Kontra-Gapi’s visit in Berlin from June 5-11, 2013 was arranged by the Philippine Embassy Berlin, care of Ambassador Maria Cleofe Natividad and Cultural Attache Milagros Antonio-Kropp. The group of 17 delegates performed on different occasions for the Philippine Embassy and also for the Filipino and international community. UP alumni Lulu Müller was the main contact person in hosting the group in Berlin. Kontra-Gapi contacted former UPAA Germany president Vickie Villar-Demmer who endorsed the group to the current president, Dr. Jingky Lozano-Kühne. UPAA Germany helped in coordinating a workshop/performance of the group in Gustav Heinemann Oberschule (GHO) Berlin through the help of Lynda and Peer Sylvester. The workshop/performance of the group in GHO Berlin was warmly welcomed and very much appreciated by the students as well as the school administration. The Kontra-Gapi’s visit was featured in the school’s newsletter (see below).
UPAA Germany also took care of touring the group in Berlin with Dr. Jingky Lozano-Kühne, Maria Renee Wolff and Krisanta Caguioa-Mönnich as guides. After Berlin, the group also performed in Darmstadt, Heidelberg and in other European cities.
For Berlin, Kontra-Gapi performed on the following occasions:
- June 7, 2013 (Friday, 18:00) – Visit of the Philippine Vice-President Jejomar Binay at the AEDES Pfefferberg (Asia-Pacific Weeks Cultural Section) in Berlin featuring a 15-minute performance of the UP Kontra-Gapi; open to the public; please check Philippine Embassy Berlin for details
- June 8, 2013 (Saturday, 16:00 to 17:30) – Full performance of the UP Kontra-Gapi at the Ethnological Museum in Berlin; open to the public; Simultaneous with launching of Mabini Art Exhibit at the foyer of the Ethnological Museum; Click here for the flyer; For further details please check the Philippine Embassy Berlin.
- June 9, 2013 (Sunday, 17:00 to 17:30) – 30-minute performance of the UP Kontra-Gapi at Bayernallee; open to the public; please check Philippine Embassy Berlin for details
- June 11, 2013 (Tuesday, 9:00 to 13:10) – performance and workshop of the UP Kontra-Gapi at Gustav Heinemann Oberschule (Waldsassener Straße 62, 12279 Berlin); arranged by UPAA Germany
- June 11, 2013 (Tuesday, 18:00) – performance of the UP Kontra-Gapi for the Diplomatic Core during the Philippine Embassy’s celebration of the Philippine Independence Day at the Deutsche Bank Atrium, Unter den Linden, Berlin
For more photos with the Kontra-Gapi in Berlin, please click here.